Wednesday, 15 February 2012

My favourite films

 "A bride with a month life expectancy" is a absolutely terrific film, which created a huge public sensation in Japan in 2007. This is a story of a 24-year-old woman who is diagnosed with cancer. Another spectacular movie is "Invictus", the story of the South African president Nelson Mandela, who is the first black president, I find this film extremely compelling.

 Although these films seem to be completely different, they have a great deal in common. One major similarity is that both are based on a true story, therefore we can watch them without feeling that the story is implausible. Furthermore, the fact of  encountering enormous difficulties resembles each other. Nelson Mandela faces a considerable amount of discrimination in "Invictus" and he strengthens the patriotic feeling with his strong passion, whereas the young woman fights against her illness. The illness is so serious that some scenes might be relatively terrifying, but her courageous behaviour compensates. I believe both films trigger floods of tears.

 "Invictus" differs from the other one, through action-packed rugby games' scenes, Nelson Mandela acquires national confidence, which is overwhelming. Unlike "Invictus", "A bride with a month life expectancy"involves romance and family affection. Unbearably painful though the disease is, the woman strengthens a bond between her and the people around her, which is really moving.

 I suppose neither of film will disappoint you. However, if I had to choose one, I would highly recommend "A bride with a month life expectancy" as a must-see. It encourages our attitudes towards health and increases our awareness of the pleasure of being healthy, which we easily forget.

5 comments:

  1. I'm not familiar with the Japanese film you mention - it sounds as if it is sad, but at the same time uplifting if it portrays this woman's courage. I've seen Invictus, and that film has a special place in my heart as I was actually at that match when South Africa won the Rugby World Cup. I think everyone there realised the enormous significance of South Africa's victory and I think the film really does justice to the emotions of that day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I totally agree!!! Although a bit fictionalized, Invictus is one of the best film I've seen in the last couple of years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a big fan of Morgan Freeman and I think that Invictus is a very inspiring film in which he does a very nice performance. I've never heard about A bride with a month life expectancy but I'd love to watch it, it sounds really interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. - Very useful language!

    terrific film, huge public sensation, diagnosed with cancer, extremely compelling, great deal, one major similarity, relatively terrifying, trigger floods of tears, unbearably painful though the disease is ...

    - Nice piece of advice in the conclusion!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Hiromi - have you had a chance to watch "The King's Speech" yet? Don't worry if you haven't, there's no rush, but when you've finished with it, can you pass it on to Eduardo? I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

    ReplyDelete